Any comic will tell you that the easiest way to seem funny is by making the audience laugh at you, and not with you. If a crowd feels superior to the entertainment, they're more likely to enjoy the routine.
This might explain why Barack Obama has never seemed particularly hilarious. His style is to play it cool -- and not the showboating "cool" of professional athletes in the end-zone. He's more reminiscent of Michael Jordan in his heyday: good because he's talented, but cool because he doesn't make a big deal out of things. And obviously, this attitude works for Obama. While Hillary Clinton threw scripted one-liners and political jabs his way, he just complimented her sense of humor and moved on. When John McCain (a naturally funny guy) worked a crowd like a put-upon Rodney Dangerfield impersonator, Obama sat back and politely chuckled. His opponents came across as trying way too hard, simply because Obama didn't seem to be trying at all.
But last night, the President did try to be funny, and... oy. On The Tonight Show, Obama decided to make fun of his campaign-trail bowling debacle (in which he knocked down a total of 37 pins). He told Jay Leno that he's gotten better, thanks to the White House bowling alley, and recently rolled a 129... then, after Leno offered up some sarcastic praise, Obama said it was "like the Special Olympics or something."
Yikes. Maybe I'm more sensitive than most, since I long-ago dropped the word "retarded" from my everyday vocabulary, and tend to cringe when it's used in casual conversation. And I'll admit that I laugh whenever The Onion makes a Special Olympics joke -- but that's coming from a publication that thrives on being an equal-opportunity offender. The simple truth is, as much as we claim to despise political correctness, we don't want to hear these kind of lines coming from the President.
So what went wrong? Why did Obama go with such a horrible comparison? Folks are already claiming it's because he's an elitist, but for goodness sake, it's hard to imagine that he hates the disabled. I think the answer's simpler: Obama isn't good at mockery, even when the subject is himself. It's a byproduct of being cool -- when you're above it all, you tend not to trade in insult humor. So when he tried to be self-deprecating, he flopped. There's a lesson here, which I hope he learned: cool and funny do not mix.
6 comments:
Not sure that other comment posted, but I meant to watch the show, except everyone in the house had gone to sleep and it seemed too loud to me, the teev. But I'll bet your review is spot on :)
I saw some of the show but missed that line, somehow. Anyway, the Special Olympics bowling champion ( a scratch bowler, who's thrown 4 300-point games in competition), understated that he could probably beat Obama.
Good post!
I think Obama's actually pretty funny, although he obviously tried a little too hard on that one. Usually the jokes for those shows are semi-scripted, I wonder what happened behind-the-scenes there. Obama immediately apologized and offered to take lessons from the SO bowling champ.
I do think political correctness is one of our society's great accomplishments (if not always for 100% the right reasons). We can all make improvements in the sensitivity of our "everyday vocabulary," whether the subject is gender, disability, race, or lifestyle choice.
Biden must be rubbing off on Obama.
Ooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr.... maybe he isn't the saint/savior/magical answer to the world's problems. YES WE CAN offend an entire community of people who are doing the very best they can with what they've been given. Lovely.
Something tells me Sarah Palin wouldn't have made that mistake...
Post a Comment