Sunday, May 24, 2009

Kosher Day At Turner Field

I took Hannah to see the Braves take on the mighty Toronto Blue Jays today. Here she is next to a statue of two olde-tyme ballplayers... I didn't realize it at the time, but she looks like she's in mortal peril from the guy trying to slide into third.
The hotdogs were actually rather good! (The chili needed work, but whatchagonnado.) And Hannah traded me half her dog for my cookie. Score. We ate before the game, in a nice area set up for the kosher food crowd. Never one to waste a captive audience, Hannah gave everyone an impromptu bit of interpretive dance.

Our seats were pretty high up. If you squint, you can see the Goodyear blimp circling near our feet.
The day started out beautifully overcast, but by the second inning, the heat had hit. And since we were seated around fifteen feet from the sun itself, we kept climbing higher and higher into the upper decks to find some shade.
Hannah had a hard time reconciling "Kosher Day" with the non-kosher cotton candy for sale by EVERY SINGLE VENDOR. But she was pretty thrilled when I called over the frozen lemonade guy.
After I bought the frozen lemonade, the Jews seated all around me realized that it must be kosher. And pareve! They immediately bought the guy out, and he promised to come back with more. The cotton candy guy, meanwhile, must have been incredibly confused.

I'm not gonna lie. I left during the sixth inning. Why? Because
  • on the way to our seats, I noticed a sign on the ramp that read "After the final out, wait time to exit is 40 minutes from this point." I couldn't see Hannah handling that well, let alone me.
  • the Braves hit a pair of homeruns during the first inning, so Hannah got to see that happen.
  • it's the Braves versus the Blue Jays. Who cares?
On the way out, we stopped in Turner Field's kid area. Which was sponsored, of course, by Cartoon Network.
I have no idea what to say about this next pic. She looks like a zombie, but she was genuinely excited about the Clone Wars wall. She even spotted it before I did.
All in all, a pretty exhausting day.

4 comments:

pam said...

Love all your catch up blogs! Perhaps you should be a "lazy blogger" more often! :)

Margo said...

Wow, I loved this pictorial. My niece is one gorgeous and adorable girl and it looks like she had a pretty cool time with her Aba. You guys will always remember that. (P.S. the last picture is frame-worthy, and I'd make a poster out of the CLone Wars one, just cause...)

YZF said...

Doesn't she look like just like Elan in that third pic?

Margo said...

YES