Monday, April 27, 2009

The Birds And The Bunnies

Hannah's favorite stuffed animal is Bunny, a brown rabbit/pillow given to her by my father, who bought it in Heathrow airport. Because it can fold out into a small pillow, Hannah cuddles with it more often than any other toy. And tonight, she asked me about Bunny.

"Where does Bunny pee?"

"Real bunnies pee outside," I respond, without looking up. I understood what she was asking, but I figured it was worth a shot to distract her.

"No," she says, "where does Bunny pee?"

Might as well answer her honestly. "Well, a real bunny would have a bunny chachi." Chachi (pronounced like the Scott Baio character) is our family term for a girl's... you know. I really don't remember how the term came about, but after all these years, there's no going back. Chachi it is.

Hannah thinks this out: "But only girl bunnies would have bunny chachis. Not boys."

"That's true, boys have something else."

"What is it boys have?"

"They have something else to help them go to the bathroom." I get the feeling that my vague answers are only making things worse.

Wrinkling up her nose, she says, "It looks like a challah roll." (I guess she had seen Malachi getting his diaper changed... as well as some really unappetizing challah.)

Suddenly she raises her eyebrows, struck by a flash of inspiration. "Is it a squirt?"

"Um," I mumble, trying to choose my words carefully, "I guess that's as good a name as any."

"Because they squirt," she explains happily, "that's what they do! They squirt." She smiles, content with her logic, and delivers her final thought: "But girls don't squirt. Girls make pee music."

5 comments:

Margo said...

OH TO THE EM TO THE GEEEEEE. Thank G-d you wrote that down! It's priceless. Yoni says simply, "I miss that girl."

DF said...

That's really quite gross. When I'm faced with questions like that, it's off to boarding school!

Cham said...

too funny!

lebo said...

wow!I can't imagine how your conversations are gonna go when they don't involve stuffed animals.

pam said...

Life would be so awesome if everyone thought like Hannah does.